Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Will of the Author - Book 1

Well, I've more or less completed the story part for the first book. I introduce several characters, which was my primary focus in this book. However, it still doesn't seem to have that gripping desire to the beginning. Tolkien had a great phrase in the opening of The Hobbit: "Long ago, in a hole in the ground, there lived a hobbit." The beginning of the story is the most important part because it is what will draw people into continuing it to the finish.

So it is now time to go back over it and revise it until it has that feel that I am looking for. Also, some of the other scenes would probably be better told from a different POV than the ones they currently use. Also, I think I need to see about fleshing out the characters a little bit more than just the introducing of them.

The other thing that I want to address is salvation and forgiveness. Of course, God's sovereignty over all is paramount in the series, so I want to address that topic. I am not sure what other doctrinal topics I want to focus on in the first book, especially since I really want to introduce readers to the characters and then address the heavier doctrines in later books. It will be a while before I am fully pleased with this first book. But I suppose that is to be expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment